FIBER ART: EMBELLISHMENT
Create your own one-of-a-kind textiles using a variety of surface embellishment techniques. In this class, students will be introduced to fabric printing, dyeing and embroidery. They will walk away with a variety of embellished textiles, which can be used in future fashion and home décor projects or displayed as stand-alone art. A list of supplies needed for the course can be found online.
AVIS 076 A
- Tuesdays, 6:45 — 9:30 p.m.
- May 16 — June 13
- Five sessions
- Ford Campus, Detroit
- 13.75 SCECH Credits Pending Approval for MI Educators
Checklist of Supplies Needed
- approximately 1 yard of light-weight cotton fabric*, in white or a very light color/neutral *suitable fabrics include quilting cotton, muslin or old cotton bedsheets. (Newly purchased fabrics should be washed and dried before class.)
- pinking shears
- embroidery threads in assorted colors
- large eye embroidery needles
- 10” embroidery hoop
- pencils and erasers
- fine point sharpie
- xacto or hobby knife
- paint brushes
- liquid fabric glue in a squeeze bottle
At the end of the course, students will have an opportunity to explore a self-directed project, with instructor guidance. Students can build off of previous projects or can begin something new.
Optional materials for the final project include:
- fabric dyes, inks or paints
- additional fabrics
- second-hand garments
- lace, trims, buttons or other decorative embellishments
- sewing thread and needles
By registering for this class, I agree to participate in this program.
CCS Precollege and Continuing Studies has gone paperless! To request documentation in writing through USPS, please contact the Precollege and Continuing Studies department at (313) 664-7456 or email pcs@collegeforcreativestudies.