Figurative Illustration Online Intensive - July 12-16
Use hand-drawing techniques to express yourself visually and represent the human figure. Experimentation is strongly encouraged as students develop their own style and learn about the methods and materials of illustrators.
THIS IS A GOOD CONCENTRATION IF YOU: Draw on napkins. Use drawings to explain ideas. Keep a stack of comics under your bed. Think about a future in animation or illustration.
This week long course will introduce fundamentals principles and concepts to introduce drawing the human figure as a three dimensional object, moving beyond contours. Demonstrations and discussions on the creative process and media will be provided. Students will be given a series of assignments that will allow enhance and their drawing skills of the human form.
This one week course will help you explore the wide open field of Illustration. In this course, you will:
- Develop ideation, drawing and rendering skills
- Learn principles of light and shadow to create more volumetric drawings
- Explore techniques used by Marvel Comics to create more dynamic illustrations
- Create a figurative illustration for your portfolio
- Meet experienced industry professionals
- Learn under the direction of CCS faculty
Each day students will connect with Zoom calls for small-group live video chats with demos and lectures that teach industry ideation, drawing, and rendering techniques. Students will work on assignments independently, create artwork, and build their portfolios. Students will also get one-on-one attention from their professor and admissions professionals throughout the week. 10am-2:30pm eastern standard time. See tentative schedule posted with images.
This course will be taught by professional illustrator and CCS associate professor Gil Ashby. Ashby has drawn murals, graphic novels, and illustrated children's books including Dear Mother, Dear Daughter: Poems for Young People by Jane Yolen and Heidi Stemple, and Rosa Parks by Eloise Greenfield. Ashby has also created sequential art for Graphic Novels. Publishers Include: Parahannah Press, DC, Marvel (Epic comics) and Dark Horse.
You will have the amazing opportunity to interact with these nationally known artists and gain insights into various disciplines within the field of illustration.
After a week of the 2021 Figurative Illustration Online Intensive program, students will know if this is the right career path for them and be well prepared to take the first steps toward that future.
Register now, enrollment is limited to 15 students!
List of supplies needed for the class:
- ❏ Light value media of choice (color pencils, chalk pastels, paints, etc)
- ❏ Dark value media of choice (color pencils, chalk pastels, paints, etc)
- ❏ 1-pencil 2B
- ❏ 1-kneaded eraser or white eraser (eg. Staedtler or similar)
- ❏ 1-12" wood ruler or straight edge
- ❏ 1 roll of white or masking tape
- ❏ 2-sheets of Canson Mi-Tientes paper (12" x 16" or larger) "tobacco", "burgundy" or "black" color
- ❏ 1-x-acto knife & blades
- ❏ Tracing pad or paper
- ❏ Whatever digital device is available (tablet, phone, computer) to capture and share images
By registering for this class I am confirming my participation.
Courses will meet over Zoom in small groups of 15 or less students. Classes will be recorded and transcribed for quality purposes and made available in the event a student cannot attend class. Recordings will be deleted after 15 days.